Earthworks Icon USB
Earthworks is a company renowned for their naturalistic, high-end sound—and now that sound is conveniently available for podcasters in the Earthworks Icon USB Streaming Microphone. This USB mic brings the build quality and tone of a pro-studio microphone to the home-broadcasting or streaming environment. Whether you make unboxing videos, stream game play, or host a podcast, the Icon will provide a clarity of recording that can help you stand out from the pack.
The microphone certainly looks the part, with its stainless steel finish and its broadcast-style, end-address capsule. But more important is the sound: Earthworks have crafted a mic that responds incredibly to the human voice, all while rejecting room sound, minimizing handling noise, and keeping any self-noise to a thankful minimum—even when you're recording at high volumes.
Delivers a Great Sound
This is an end-address, small-diaphragm condenser microphone with a cardioid polar pattern for minimizing the sound of acoustically imperfect rooms. On the tech side, the mic has been fashioned to deliver a rise speed of 14 microseconds, which means it reacts quickly and impeccably to the subtleties of your voice. Low-noise construction means the mic won't generate hiss or other machine sounds when driven hard. It's able to handle an SPL of up to 132 dB, which is quite high, and will come in handy for video-game playthroughs where one might be audibly surprised by the sudden arrival of a virtual enemy.
Sonic Excellence Straight to Computers
With its USB-C connection, the microphone works out of the box with your computer to deliver studio-quality sound right off the bat.
Built-In Pop Filter
A built-in pop filter ensures you won't incur p-pops from plosives, so you can say phrases like "p-pops from plosives" without distorting the recording.
Cardioid Polar Pattern for the Untreated Room
The microphone makes use of a directional cardioid polar pattern to minimize off-axis sound. This polar pattern naturally, yet effectively tamps down room tone and focuses the audio capture on what's directly in front of the mic. Depending on your particular room, you may still need a little room treatment, or some noise-reduction software, to address issues such as your computer's hum or your air conditioner, but the chances of that are markedly lower with a cardioid polar pattern.
Thanks to the built-in 3.5mm jack, you can monitor your audio straight from the back of the mic.
Easy to Control
The mic offers simple controls and helpful haptic feedback indicators. A simple gain knob controls the mic level, with a default center position tailored for speaking about 3" away from the capsule. A haptic analog mute switch on this knob acts as an "e-brake" of sorts, allowing you to mute right from the mic if need be.
Sturdy Integrated Stand
The integrated stand comes courtesy of Triad Orbit, a company famous for their studio-quality modular mic stands and mic-placement solutions. The mic can be disengaged from the stand by means of the integrated M2-R ball adapter, so you can mount the mic on any stand or boom you choose.
- Sound signature designed for streaming, podcasting, interviewing, gaming, web conferencing, and content creating.
- Capture studio-quality audio.
- Ultra-fast capsule - rise time speed of of 14 microseconds
- Off-axis rejection prevents room noise from entering your stream — even when you're working from home along with the rest of the family.
- Integrated visual LED status indication.
- Intuitive analog mute & gain control.
- Headphone out with sidetone (sidetone available on PC & Linux).
- Interchangeable class-compliant USB connectivity, for plug 'n play simplicity.
- No foam. Easy-to-clean stainless steel windscreen with integrated pop filter.
- Designed, machined, & assembled in the USA.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Diaphragm Size: Small
- Peak Acoustic input: 132dB SPL
- Power Source: USB Bus Power
- Power Consumption: 70 mA at 5V (Bus Power)
- Typical Headphoneimpedance: 16 Ohms
- Headphone Output Power: 50 mW (at 16 Ohms)
- Color: Stainless Steel
- Dimensions: H: 134.6 L: 40.6 mm
- Weight: 0.7 kg