Solid State Logic UF8 Advanced DAW Controller
The SSL of USB DAW Control Surfaces
If you’re ready to take control of your DAW-based production setup,SSL has a product that will supercharge your workflow. The Solid State Logic UF8 is an advanced DAW control surface with eight motorized, touch-sensitive faders; nine push/push rotary encoders; and eight high-resolution LCD TFT displays.
SSL has been making world-class recording consoles for decades, and their extensive expertise is evident in the meticulous design of the UF8. Its professional pedigree is manifest throughout the design — from the just-right feel of its soft-touch rubber RGB backlit buttons to the robustness of its sleek, all-metal chassis. The system is expandable with up to four UF8s for 32 channels of DAW control. Connecting via high-speed USB and powered by SSL’s dedicated 360° software, the UF8 offers easy, streamlined operation along with powerful functionality.
SSL 360° software: the brains of the operation
Operationally, the UF8 works seamlessly with major DAWs — Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and Ableton Live — three of which can be be connected concurrently. SSL’s dedicated 360° software for macOS and Windows handles configuration with your DAW(s). You can drag and drop to reorder UF8s in a multi-surface configuration and customize the user keys on the control surface with your choice of DAW commands or keyboard shortcuts. You’ll never lose any brilliant moves, because SSL 360° automatically saves any changes you make in the background (and of course, you can always undo). It also manages software and firmware updates automatically.
- 8 motorized, touch-sensitive faders
- 8+1 push/push rotary encoders
- 8 hi-res LCD TFT displays
- RGB backlit soft-touch rubber buttons
- Robust all-metal enclosure with brushed, anodized top plate
- Expandable: connect up to 4 UF8s to create a 32-channel DAW controller
- Works with major DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and Ableton Live
- Up to 3 different DAWs may be connected simultaneously
- Pro Tools communication via HUI; Logic, Cubase, Studio One, and Live communication via MCU
- SSL software provides workflow enhancements with features such as Channel and Plug-in mode
- Large multi-purpose notched encoder allows for DAW timeline navigation, track banking, and mouse wheel emulation for enhanced hands-on control
- Customizable keys for assigning your favorite keyboard shortcuts/macros
- Assignable footswitches
- Included stands allow for adjustable elevation angle on your desktop
- Compatible with SSL Origin modular center section
- 19-inch 6U rackmount kit available separately
- Connects to your computer via high-speed USB
- Powered by SSL 360° software for macOS/Windows, providing quick multi-session configuration, drag-and-drop reorder, customizable user keys, assignable layers, update management, and more
Accelerated creativity, intelligent production
UF8 is SSL’s latest studio controller, designed for today’s DAW-based production workflows and ultrafast turn-around times. An expandable 8-channel advanced DAW controller, UF8 connects engineers, producers and artists directly to the creative process, offering absolute command of their workflow and significantly accelerating the speed of audio production and content creation.
UF8 is the culmination of SSL’s 40+ year legacy of mastering production workflows and studio ergonomics built into generations of classic SSL consoles. This depth of understanding of studio production, combined with decades of engineering excellence, delivers a premium finish tactile USB controller that distills SSL workflow and quality.
Music Creation & Production
With UF8 at the heart of your studio setup, you can effortlessly navigate through large sessions and focus on the music, instead of the mouse. Hi-res displays with constant visual feedback and intuitive layout of controls allow you to stay creative for longer.
Content Creation & Webcasting
Whether you need to solo tracks quickly or access your most used editing functions from the touch of a button, UF8 will help you create more engaging content for your audiences, faster and more efficiently.
UF8 is perfect for finessing your dialogue automation rides and assigning all your essential session shortcuts to the user-keys for enhanced productivity, tailored to suit your post workflow.
Put some feel back into your mixing with UF8's 100 mm high-quality motorised faders, perfect for balancing multiple tracks at once or riding your reverb sends. Scale your system up to 32 faders (4 UF8s), for the full SSL mix experience.
UF8 offers intuitive features that are developed from a true understanding of production workflow; Simultaneous control of multiple DAWs, multi-purpose Master Encoder for DAW timeline navigation, track banking and mouse wheel emulation for precision, hands-on control.
Dedicated automation section and dual-purpose Selection Keys permit rapid access to select functions; solo and mute clearing in Pro Tools® and Logic Pro X®. New CHANNEL and PLUG-IN control modes provide enhanced workflows for those using UF8 with Pro Tools® - easily access your sends and plug-ins without slowing down your creativity.
- High-quality 100 mm touch sensitive faders
- High-resolution colour displays
- All metal enclosure, finished with a brushed, anodised top plate
- 8 Endless Rotary Encoders
- Custom Workflows with 43 assignable keys per UF8; 5 banks of 8 User Keys + 3 Quick Keys
- Intelligent Multi-Purpose CHANNEL Encoder
- Mouse Scroll Emulation; control of any plug-in parameter you hover the mouse over with absolute precision
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
100 mm Touch-Sensitive Faders
Quality feel, engineered response and a volume curve that keeps engineers in the sweet spot. Anyone who has driven an SSL console knows not all faders are equal.
Hi-Resolution Colour Displays
Constant, clear visual feedback that only a full colour, high resolution display can provide. Key track information including level, pan, routing and names can be found here, keeping you focused on what matters.
8 Endless Rotary Encoders
V-POT technology and workflow as found in SSL AWS and Duality consoles. Seamlessly jump between parameters whist maintaining absolute control.
Intelligent CHANNEL Encoder
Featuring mouse scroll emulation, control any plug-in parameter you hover the mouse over with precision.
Configure essential shortcuts and custom macros for total session control via the 43 assignable, backlit user keys found on UF8.
For perfect positioning, each UF8 includes a pair of adjustable stands allowing for six different angles of elevation for user defined placement. 19” rack mount kits are also available.
And if you don't love me now...
Chain multiple UF8's together to create your unique mixing system; build your perfect 16-24 channel music creation hub, or connect 4 UF8’s within a single system to create a 32-channel controller ideal for large post production or mixing sessions. (Image shows 3 units / 24 channel system)
The rear panel of UF8 features a USB 'C' type port for easy connection to the host computer ('C' to 'C' and 'C' to 'A' cables included with UF8), two jack sockets offering standard foot-switch connections and a socket for UF8's auto ranging external PSU. The USB 'A' port on UF8 can be used to daisy-chain USB communication between UF8s, or, it can be used to plug in any USB dongles you have.
SSL 360° APP
SSL 360° is the command centre and brains behind UF8. It’s a cross-platform application for Mac and Windows. Installing is quick and easy. Once installed SSL 360° allows you to configure your UF8(s) for your DAW, customise the User Keys and save/load profiles. SSL 360° manages software and firmware updates for you. You can find SSL 360° within the 'Documents & Downloads' tab on this page or the downloads page and select ‘SSL UF8’ from the drop-down list.
SSL Native Plug-in Bundle
Full licences of Vocalstrip 2 and Drumstrip plug-ins, SSL Native's highly regarded vocal (it's also great for speech / VO work) and percussion production tools are bundled with UF8. Giving you a range of professional quality processors suited to music, audio and post-production tasks.
Open DAW Policy
UF8 integrates with all major DAWs and includes workflow ready templates for Ableton® Live™, Cubase™ / Nuendo™, Pro Tools®, Logic Pro X® and Studio One®. Many producers and engineers prefer to split their creative process across multiple DAWs. UF8 is uniquely flexible and promotes SSL's Open DAW Policy - Control 3 different DAWs simultaneously and keep your production and mixdown process agile.
SSL 360° software must be installed on your Mac or Windows computer in order to use SSL UF8. SSL 360° is available for FREE from the downloads page.
SSL 360° software requires the following:
- Mac - 10.13 (High Sierra) and above
- Windows - Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Intel 3rd Gen Core i5 (or comparable AMD processor) CPU running at 2.4GHz or higher
- 8GB RAM or more is recommended
- Internet-connection for software updates from SSL 360° application
The following DAWs are officially supported by UF8 and have dedicated profiles in SSL 360°. We only officially test with the most recent versions of each DAW software. In most cases, previous versions will also work fine.
- Pro Tools®
- Logic Pro X®
- Cubase™ / Nuendo™
- Ableton® Live™
- Studio One®
It’s always recommended for you to be working with the latest major version and maintenance release of your DAW supported by your operating system.
Don’t See Your DAW in the list?
Many other DAWs have HUI & MCU controller integration. At the time of writing, we provide dedicated UF8 profiles for the list of DAWs above. For more information on the kind of integration you can expect between UF8 and DAWs not listed above, please see this FAQ page via the button below.
UF8 Physical Specification
- Dimensions: 17” x 10.5” x 2.4” / 431 x 266 x 62.7 mm (Width x Depth X Height)
- Weight:: Unboxed - 2.9 kg / 6.4 lbs
- Boxed - 5.0 kg / 11.02 lbs